Westgate Park - The Boating Lake
Westgate Park (also known by many as The Boating Lake) is a 9-hectare open space on the banks of the River Severn.
- River Severn and ornamental lake
- Informal sport and recreation
- Mature trees and wildlife
- Pedestrian access from Westgate Street and Dexter Way/Longhorn Avenue
- Located off Royal Oak Road/St Oswald's Road (next to Riverside Sports Centre), GL1 2TF
- Bus routes 23,31,32, and 33 run past the site on the main A417, Westgate Street/Royal Oak Road/St Oswald's Road
The area is now known as Westgate Park (having amalgamated two sites - Archdeacon Meadow, a former sports field and Westgate Leisure Area). Having become less used in recent years, since the closure of the informal sports facilities, the park is now being given a new lease of life, with many new residents now living close by in the St Oswald's park development.
The area contains a picnic area, surfaced footpaths with riverside views and wetland habitat areas to encourage wildlife.
Looking at the wider locality, the city council also aims to provide improved pedestrian signage and links between Westgate Park and the adjacent Alney Island nature reserve and long distance footpaths such as The Severn Way, Gloucestershire Way and Glevum Way, which run through the local area.