Safer Streets Community Activity Fund
Funding available for your ideas - Be Part of the Change you want to see!
Gloucester has received some funding from the Home Office Safer Streets fund. The City Council is using the money to kick start a long-term piece of work on making our public spaces safer for all, with a particular focus on safer spaces for women and girls.
We have made some of the money available for a small community fund, and we hope to be able to give up to £300 per project to ideas which:
- Focus on Gloucester Park, Napier Park or the area of Sinope Street (or a combination/ all of these locations)
- Make positive use of the above locations
- Contribute to making these locations safer, either by making them better-used or by addressing worries that people might have around safety
- Are led by the community or a community group
Feedback already has told us that people feel safer when an area is well used for positive activity, and suggestions we have had so far include:
- More interesting landscape
- More seating, look at other park areas – eg Hyde park and other parks in the world
- Ideas to promote more sports or physical activity, e.g. running routes signposted around the park
- More floral displays flowerbeds with shrubs not just animals
- Revamp the café to be used more eating facilities
- Strawberries, Blackcurrants, fruit trees, orchard, veg in raised beds
- Wildflowers around the trees, sculptures trail
- Better maintenance of the play area -lock the gates at night
- encourage people to use the park e.g. lantern trails, dog walking clubs, big picnics
- Highlight lampposts for visual impaired people
- Markings in the park on the path
Please note the above is based on anonymous feedback so we do not have people already taking these ideas forward. This list is for inspiration only so please do not let it put you off applying if you have a similar idea. Groups can also work in partnership to pool funds and deliver a bigger project
The fund will be open for applications between 28th January 2022 - 16th March 2022 and projects must be started by March 2022.
If you would like more information or to discuss an idea please contact Bev Headman-Fearon or Emily Bolland via email@example.com